Sunday, August 28, 2011

Football, are you ready Seattle?

One thing about Seattle that has always bummed me out a little is the Football and I don't mean the Team. What I've never felt in Seattle is the fan dedication, you have a few face painters and season ticket holders but overall you just don't seem into the Seahawks.

My first Pro Season in Seattle I was excited to see my new city and second team (the Bears will always be my number one) enjoy a 13-3 season taking them to the Super Bowl for their first appearance in the teams 30 year history. Now maybe it's because I lived through the dark times with the Chicago Bears from 1993-2003, when he who shall not be named (Michael McCaskey) seemed to single handedly suck all of the happiness and joy out of our city and lives. I was happy to be in a city with a winning team, and not only winning but going to the Super Bowl against an 11-5 wild card team. I remember the pre game pep rally and that is when I noticed something was off. The papers reported an great turn out of  between 150-175 fans. Ok, I know I was guilty of to wanting relive the magic of the 1984-1985 Chicago Bears Season, and I'm not saying I need a Seahawks Shuffle, but 175 fans! 

Football teams alone do not win games nor do they make seasons or eras. It's the cities and fans that create the legend and keep it alive. Football is not about just wearing face paint and colored mardi gras beads. Football is about creating a legacy and tradition. I knew that when I watched the Bears in 1984-1985 I was part of a Football renaissance that Chicago had not seen since the Monsters of the Midway. So Seattle I would like to see a little more Football spirit, Sounders fans keep up the good work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment